Last Updated on Tuesday, 19 October 2010
Tuesday, 19 October 2010
BRUSSELS, -- The European Association of Lawyers for Democracy and World Human Rights ELDH and the Association for Democracy and International Law MAF-DAD
demand that Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) should be taken off from the list of European Union.
European Lawyers demand: Take the PKK off the Terrorist List of the European Union
In the appeal the lawyers also demand the abolishment of the EU Terrorist List in general, in particular because it does not comply with the rule of law. In this context the lawyers refer to several judgements of the European Court of Justice in Luxemburg, which declared the listing on the Terrorist List as violation of European law.
The lawyers demand that the European Union plays an active role in the efforts for a peaceful solution of the Kurdish question. The European Union should support the Kurdish civil society. The expulsion of Kurdish political refugees to the pursuant state Turkey should be stopped.
The appeal is up to now supported by
- the European Association of Lawyers for Democracy and World Human Rights EDLH, which represents 9 lawyers associations and lawyers in 16 countries
- the European Democratic Lawyers EDL, which represents 11 lawyers associations and lawyers in 6 countries,
- the International Association of Democratic Lawyers IADL
- the Association for Democracy and International Law MAF-DAD
Additional supporters are welcome !
When: 11:00 am on 19th October 2010
Where: Hotel Silken (room JEAN REY III) Berlaymont Brussels
11-19, Boulevard Charlemagne 1000 Brussels – Belgium
Callers of the Press Conference
- Thomas Schmidt, Secretary General of ELDH, www.eldh.eu (Germany)
- Jan Fermon, Progress Lawyers Network, http://www.progresslaw.net , ELDH Executive Committee (Belgium)
- Heike Geisweid Chairperson of Maf-Dad www.mafdad.org (Germany)
- Mario Angelelli of Maf-Dad (Italy)
- Pierre Robert Syndacat des Avocats pour la Démocratie, EDL-AED, http://www.aeud.org , (Belgium)
ELDH, Platanenstrasse 13, 40233 Düsseldorf (Germany), email@example.com, 0049-211-444 001
MAF-DAD, Steinweg 3, 50667 Köln, (Germany), firstname.lastname@example.org, 0049-221-355 33 22 30